Top 13 Most Challenged Books of 2022
The American Library Association tracked 1,269 challenges to library, school, and university materials and services in 2022. Of the 2,571 unique titles that were challenged or banned in 2022, here are the top 13 most challenged.
Look for these books on display in the Library. Click on the link to connect to our catalog and a summary of the item.
1. Gender Queer / Kobabe, Maia
2. All Boys Aren’t Blue : a Memoir-Manifesto / Johnson, George M.
3. The Bluest Eye / Morrison, Toni
4. Flamer / Curato, Mike
5. Looking for Alaska / Green, John
5. The Perks of Being a Wallflower / Chbosky, Stephen
7. Lawn Boy / Evision, Jonathan
8. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian / Alexie, Sherman
9. Out of Darkness / Pérez, Ashley Hope
10. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl / Andrews, Jesse
10. A Court of Mist and Fury / Maas, Sarah J.
10. Crank / Hopkins, Ellen
10. This Book is Gay / Dawson, Juno
The Shining / King, Stephen
The Hunger Games / Collins, Suzanne
The Handmaid’s Tale / Atwood, Margaret
A Clockwork Orange / Burgess, Anthony
Bridge to Terabithia / Paterson, Katherine
And Tango Makes Three / Richardson, Justin
To Kill a Mockingbird / Lee, Harper
Fahrenheit 451 / Bradbury, Ray
Brave New World / Huxley, Aldous
Nineteen Eighty-Four / Orwell, George